How’s your sleep been lately? Mine has been all over the place, and I do not function well without a proper sleep! This can mostly be chalked up to the heat over the last week, but did you know that sleep difficulties can also be a sign of an imbalance in the fire element?
The fire element is associated with summer, the height of yang and is one of the 5 elements which make up part of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Basically, we need each element to be in balance because it feeds into the next in a cycle. To allow us to gather our energies during late summer (earth element) we need a balance in the fire element to start us of.
This is where having a good sleep comes in. Sleep is vital for so many physical and mental processes within the body, and even one disrupted night can have repercussions which last for a long time. Impacting the immune response, our decision making and even having an influence on our mood, impaired sleep makes the day more challenging. Thankfully there are a few simple steps you can take to improve your quality of sleep:
- Try some magnesium spray – additional magnesium helps the body relax, and I’ve found this helps me feel a bit more ready for sleep
- A warm shower before bed (bonus points if you use a relaxing shower gel) – this symbolically washes the day away, you can imagine all of the stresses of the day floating down the drain
- Pillow spray – I like ‘This Works’ which contains lavender oil, but any essential oil that helps you to switch off and get into relaxation mode is great
- Journaling – this one has been a game changer for me, just free-writing whatever comes into my head, even if it’s a list of all the things I need to do the next day
- Cherry Good – having a small glass of Cherry juice before bed aids in the production of melatonin (the hormone that helps you sleep) and improves sleep efficiency and time
If you’re having trouble sleeping, give one of these Top Tips a go and it might just help you nod off. Or you can join my 3-day Serene Sleep journey, where I will email you some short yoga practices, relaxation guides and some other ways you can easily and naturally improve your sleep. Sign up here…